Ко су били јелени додиривачи?

Ко су били јелени додиривачи?


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Пре око 20 година прочитао сам чланак у једном часопису (не могу да се сетим у ком часопису) о племену староседелаца (верујем да су били Северноамериканци) који су имали традицију додирујући живе јелене. Скидали би се у везице, гушили своја тела пепелом из ватре да прикрију свој мирис, забијали траву и гранчице у косу, а затим би ходали врло тихо и полако (~ 80 секунди по кораку) све до јелена. Тест је био да се види да ли могу да приђу јеленима, а да их он не примети или да не региструје да су живо биће, и ишчупа им длаку из репа као доказ свог постигнућа. Неке технике које су се користиле биле су да покушавају да се понашају као грм, њишући се од поветарца, неки мушкарци су добили косу тако што су раширили руке као гране и пустили прсте да прочешљају јеленово крзно док је пролазило мимо незнања о њиховом присуству, брзо чупајући реп коса у последњој секунди.

Покушавам да откријем ово племе људи, али до сада нисам имао среће да их потражим. Зна ли неко ко су они били?


"Човек који додирује јелене", Билл Хеавеи, Фиелд анд Стреам, октобар 2000, стр. 44.

Чланак је интервју природњачког писца Тома Бровна млађег, који тврди да га је као дете учио извиђач Липан Апача.


Историја белоглавог јелена

Научници верују да су јелени некада насељавали горко-хладне регионе око Арктичког круга. Тек пре око 4 милиона година први јелени су мигрирали у оно што данас зовемо Сједињене Државе.

Јелени су били саставни део живота домородачких Американаца. Месо и коштана срж чинили су велики део њихове исхране. Индијанци су користили коже за одећу, тепихе, ћебад, мрежице и слично. Они су од костију израђивали врхове стрела, тољаге, удице за рибе и алат.

Први досељеници у Америци пировали су се разним животињама, попут пурана и тетријеба. Затим су открили велики виргинијски бели реп. Индијанци су научили колонисте како ефикасно користити јелена, користећи сваки комад меса, кожу и кости.

Временом је популација јелена пролазила кроз флуктуације. Први велики пад везан је за трговину крзном. Индијанци су убијали око 5 милиона јелена годишње како би снабдели трговину. Почетком 1800 -их, због пада продаје крзна и природног ширења јелена на нова станишта, популација је поново у порасту. Међутим, ово повећање није дуго трајало.

Бескрајни лов на пијацама крајем 1800-их смањио је популацију белих репа на историјски најнижи ниво од 500 000, а у неким областима су нестали и новци. 1900. године усвојен је Лаци Ацт, први савезни закон о дивљим животињама. Лејси је забранила међудржавну трговину дивљачи и другом дивљом дивљачи, а експлоатација белих репа почела је да се успорава. Године 1908. 41 држава је основала одељења за очување, унапређујући заштиту јелена.

Велика депресија је била тешка за Американце. Али, дошло је време за бум на истоку, југу и средњем западу. Док су људи хрлили из земље да оставе живот у градовима, напуштене фарме и кућне локације никле су коров, жбуње и младице. Биолози и спортисти почели су да схватају да је промењено станиште Америке добро за све већи број јелена. Некада су се сматрали становницима великих, суседних шума, белорепци би заувек били познати као животиње са ивицом.

Крајем 1950-их, биолог по имену Цроцкфорд развио је систем пиштоља за хватање јелена. Та технологија, заједно са будућим изумима попут мреже топова, одиграла је кључну улогу у успешном обнављању залиха белих репа широм Сједињених Држава.

До 1970. године популација бијелог репа је стално расла у доњих 48 држава. Ловци су годинама мислили да је злочин убити срну. Значајна студија из 1974. године то је променила. Научник М.Л. Валлс је открио да би дугорочно управљање растућим стадима јелена требало да укључи жетву и долара и рода. Државе су постепено почеле да примењују сезоне лова “доне ” и “антлерлесс ’.

Популација белих репа наставила је да расте током 1980 -их и#821790 -их. Управљање чврстим јеленима био је један од разлога. А онда је дошло до ширења приградских насеља. У многим регионима све више и више људи гради породичне куће у некада руралним подручјима, стварајући шаховницу од “фарметтес ” и малих имања. Програмери су исклесали пододсеке, голф терене и тржне центре на фармама и у шумама. Иронично, ово је створило идеална станишта за џепове и џепове за прилагодљив бијели реп, који има необичан смисао да живи заједно са човјеком. Овај тренд се наставља и у новом миленијуму и није без негативних страна. Све већи број јелена уништава грмље, воћке и усјеве, наносећи стотине милиона долара годишње штете на средњем западу, сјевероистоку и југоистоку. Сукоби јелена и аутомобила у великом су порасту.

Данас је бели реп, Одоцоилеус виргинианус, најраспрострањенији јелен на свету. Научници препознају 30 подврста белог репа у Северној и Централној Америци и још осам у Јужној Америци. Популација белог репа у Северној Америци процењује се на 20-25 милиона животиња. Бели реп је далеко најпопуларнија игра у САД -у, коју сваке јесени јури око 11 милиона ловаца.


Историја Јохн Деере -а - од раног плуга до пољопривредних трактора

Трактор Јохн Деере једна је од најтрајнијих икона америчког живота на фарми. Предузеће за производњу трактора Јохн Деере основано је 1837. године и прича о његовом оснивању тесно је проткана развојем челичног плуга. Деере -ова жеља да побољша несавршен дизајн плуга резултирала је оснивањем оног што је 177 година постало водећа тракторска компанија у свету, данас позната као компанија Деере.

Прича о оснивачу компаније датира из 1804. године када је Јохн Деере рођен у Рутланду, Вермонт. Почео је да ради као ковачки шегрт са 17 година и у року од четири године основао је сопствени ковачки посао. Деере -ови радови#8217 састојали су се у изради сена, поткова и других потребних оруђа за пољопривреду. Природа одабране трговине, у комбинацији са локалном економском климом, учинила је да се Деере сели из града у град. Са 33 године одлучио је да се пресели на запад, одмарајући се у Гранд Детоур, Иллиноис.

Велики део посла Јохн Деере -а укључивао је опетоване поправке плугова од ливеног гвожђа и дрвета, доказујући му да ти дизајни плугова нису били довољно јаки да пресеку преријску бусен и тешко тло Илиноиса. Вршећи сопствене промене у дизајну, Деере је изградио лагани плуг од полираног челика од сломљеног челичног листа пилане. Плуг који је створио ефикасно је пробијао тешку бусену средњег запада и сам се чистио, што значи да се могао очистити од исечене бусене па га не би требало стално чистити током рада. До 1838. изградио је и продао три своја плуга локалним пољопривредницима, 10 следеће године, а 40 годину касније. Деере се удружио са Леонардом Андрусом и до 1846. године заједно су успели да направе скоро 1.000 плугова.

До 1847. Деере је осећао да ће посао бити бољи у Молинеу, Иллиноис, смештеном на реци Мисисипи. Било би лакше и јефтиније транспортовати његову робу реком. Он је продао свој део ковачке радње свом партнеру и преселио се у Молине. До 1850. године Деере је производио 1600 плугова годишње, као и додатни алат за челичне плугове. Челични плуг Јохн Деере у то време се сматрао најсавременијим пољопривредним оруђем. Кориштени материјал и облик плуга били су револуционарни и стално су се развијали док је Деере слушао повратне информације својих купаца и у складу с тим прилагођавао дизајн.

1875. године Јохн Деере је представио свој први плуг за вожњу. Био је то суморан плуг Гилпин на два точка са коњским погоном. 1888. производили су се плугови на парни погон, а 1892. други проналазач, Јохн Фроелицх из Ајове, продао је прва два бензинска трактора. Ови и многи други рани пројекти трактора на бензински погон имали су свој почетак у Ајови, али је компанија Јохн Деере у Иллиноису избила из пакета и постала лидер у пољопривредној опреми.

1971. слоган “Нотхинг Рунс Лике а Деере ” представљен је како би промовисао њихову недавно објављену линију моторних санки. До 1983. године линија за моторне санке је прекинута, али је слоган остао.

Један од најранијих челичних плугова компаније Деере#8217 сада је смештен у Институту Смитхсониан.


Повратак белорепог јелена

Увријежено је мишљење да је очување дивљих животиња изгубило став. Уништавање стада бизона, судбина голуба путника, опште је познато. У наше време видимо огромну ждралу и калифорнијског кондора на ивици изумирања. Али очување дивљих животиња није прошло без успеха. И ништа није било спектакуларније од обнављања белорепог јелена из Вирџиније у шумама Истока и Блиског Запада.

Првобитно је тридесетак сорти (подврста) јелена белорепаца окупирало Северну Америку. Већина је насељавала рубове велике источне шуме тврдог дрвета која је сезала од атлантске обале до долине Миссиссиппи. Западно од шума преовладавали су јелени и лосови, иако су неки бели репови лутали шикаром у подножју око река Велике равнице. Мали сонорански бијели реп настањивао је подножје око велике југозападне пустиње, а џепови локалног обиља других подврста догодили су се у сјеверним Стеновитим планинама и на пацифичком сјеверозападу. Северно од линије која води отприлике од Минеаполиса до Портланда, Маине, густе шуме смрче, јеле и бора пружале су мало хране за јелене.

Бели реп постигао је највећу бројност на острвима и око мочвара обала Атлантика и Мексичког залива, у грмљу и травњацима који су раздвајали источно тврдо дрво и Велике равнице. Никада није дубоко продро у нетакнуто дрво узвишења, где су испреплетене крошње и удови џиновског дрвећа засењивали земљу, проверавајући развој бујне јеленске потребе јелена за храном. Али чак и на узвишењима повремени прекиди у шумским крошњама дозвољавали су раст хране за јелене и присуство јелена. Језерске обале и обале ријека подржавали су шикару шикаре. Даброви, уобичајени на свим источним потоцима, помагали су јеленима својим резањем и поплавама. Урагани и торнада исекли су откосе који су убрзо поново прекривени садницама, грмљем и виновом лозом који расту међу запетљаним налетима.

Већина источних Индијанаца водила је полуномадско постојање, крећући се сваких неколико година под притиском непријатељског напада или због исцрпљених њива. Сва шумска племена интензивно су користила ватру - да очисте баштенске закрпе и куће, да минимизирају изненадне нападе, да потјерају дивљач или да побољшају лов. Спаљене земље окруживале су већину индијских села километрима, а свако напуштено земљиште или које се није интензивно обрађивало убрзо је поново обрасло идеалном јеленском храном и покривачем. Заиста, Индијанац је вероватно помогао у стварању много више јелена него што их је убио.

Ово је била већина прича о источним јеленима пре седамнаестог века. Колико их је тада било, нико не зна. Али образац белог истраживања и насељавања вероватно је остављао погрешан утисак обиља. Колонизација је започела у приобалним низинама, као у Јаместовну, или у напуштеним индијским земљама, као у Плимоутху, а истраживање унутрашњости обично је слиједило ријеке, кроз нека од најбољих станишта јелена на истоку.

Колонијална пољопривреда била је продужетак индијских метода у томе што је бели човек такође користио ватру да очисти земљу. Али колонијална пољопривреда била је далеко експанзивнија и ретко је бели човек допустио да се земља врати у шуму. Очишћена земљишта која се нису одмах користила за нова насеља више пута су спаљивана ради одржавања травњака. Све већи број говеда, оваца, коња, коза и свиња узгајан је углавном на отвореном пашњаку и такмичио се са јеленима свуда где се развио одговарајући узгој јелена. Недуго након револуције већина прашуме источно од Апалачаца је исечена, а земље спаљене - у многим случајевима, не једном, већ десетинама пута.

Ипак, упркос таквом уништавању њиховог станишта, јелени су истрајали. Постојале су земље између широко размакнутих градова где су светлосним сагоревањем и сечом побољшали њихов домет. Било је мочвара - попут Вирџинијске туробне мочваре - које су пркосиле уништавању ватром и одводњом. Било је камених провалија и планина превише сурових за пољопривреду или испашу. Сви ови гајени јелени. Али такође су обезбедили уточишта за пуму и дрвеног вука, традиционалне природне непријатеље белог репа. Убрзо су постали прогони тог још смртоноснијег предатора - ловца на месо и пијацу.

Дивљач и јеленова кожа постали су основа колонијалне економије првим искрцавањем у Ст. Аугустине, Јаместовн и Плимоутх. Једном када је Индијац сазнао да комад дивљачи вреди јард силоса или трговачку секиру, ухватио је у замку, ухватио у замку и упуцао јелене где год их је наишао. До 1630. године многа су приобална племена имала приступ европском ватреном оружју, а један индијски ловац са пиштољем могао је убити пет или шест јелена у току дана.

Јелени су брзо пропадали дуж обале Атлантика током седамнаестог века. Дана 4. фебруара 1646. године, град Портсмоутх, Рходе Исланд, наредио је затворену сезону у лову на јелене „од првог маја до првог новембра, а ако неко у то време испуца лову, одузеће пет фунти ...“ уредба је поставила образац за законе које је већина колонија усвојила до 1720.

Преамбула закона Цоннецтицут одражава званичну забринутост због будућности јелена: Убијање јелена у неразборито доба године пронађено је у великој мјери предрасудама Колоније, велики број њих је ловљен и уништен у дубоком снијегу када су веома сиромашни и велики са младима, месо и коже врло мале вредности, а повећање је увелико ометало.

1705. године, Генерална скупштина у Невпорту, Рходе Исланд, примијетила је да је обавијештена да је велика количина јелена уништена у овој колонији ван сезоне ... и да може у великој мјери доказати штету ове колоније у будућности и ... целу државу, ако се не спречи.

Било је раштрканих осуда, али ниједан од ових колонијалних закона није ефикасно спроведен, па је до средине осамнаестог века остало мало јелена за заштиту у близини већих заједница. Граничари су и даље живели од земље и узимали су своју дивљач кад су то хтели. Дуж рубова повучене пустиње, ловци на индијском и белом тржишту и даље су чешљали шикаре за дивљач у свим годишњим добима, далеко од домашаја најближег "јеленског гребена", официра именованог да ухвати ловокрадице.

После револуције, дуж долина Охаја, Вабаша, Камберленда и Мисисипија, и на јужним обалама Великих језера, уништавање дивљине настављено је у већим размерама. До тог тренутка ловци на тржиште, који су још увек радили у комбију цивилизације, стигли су до рубова прерија, најпродуктивнијег дела оригиналног асортимана белог репа. Раширена мрежа канала, путева и шина држала их је у близини источних тржишта. Једног дана 1818. године група ловаца у граду Медина у Охају убила је триста јелена, двадесет и једног црног медведа и седамнаест вукова. (У просеку је то значило око дванаест јелена по квадратној миљи.) У зиму 1859. ловци на месо убили су последње јелене из Иове излегавши их по дубоком снегу. Слична клања редовно су се дешавала на Блиском западу све док се јелени могу пронаћи у довољно великом броју да оправдају труд.

Отварањем Запада, центар лова на пијаце померио се на Велике равнице и Стеновите планине. Тамо су највећи део терета носили бизони, стрни, лосови, мазге и овце. Међутим, безначајна подручја на рањивом подручју дуж преријских низина завршавала су се у чорбама вагона, коњских патрола и посада речних чамаца.

У Новој Енглеској и државама које се граниче са Великим језерима, крчењем земљишта и ловом на месо елиминисани су већина јелена у њиховом изворном домету. Али сјеча сјеверних четинара створила је нови и бољи распон на сјеверу. До 1870. јелени су постали уобичајени у сјеверним окрузима Миннесота, Мицхиган, Висцонсин, Нев Хампсхире и Маине, гдје их је педесет година раније било мало или их није било. Јеленима је, међутим, сеча четинара била мешовити благослов. Сваки од логора за сјечу запошљавао је ловце како би дрвосјечама обезбиједили свјеже месо. Ловци на пијаци, који су до сада истребили јелене јужније, нагрнули су у новоразвијени ареал.

Коришћењем паса, оружја, челичних замки и жичаних замки, вешт ловац могао би у просеку да унесе десет јелена дневно. У децембру 1872. године, Литцхфиелд, Миннесота, испоручио је шест тона одјевене дивљачи на пијаце у Бостону. 1880. само су теретне канцеларије у Мичигену превозиле више од сто хиљада јелена намењених Чикагу и истоку.

Ово директно клање било је довољно лоше, али су пожари који су уследили након сече у северним боровим шумама око Великих језера били још гори. Након резања дрвета, сува, покошена црта-одбачене крошње и удови-покрила је стотине хиљада хектара, чекајући само искру да је запали. Једна од првих варница погодила је пањеве уз ветар од Пештигоа у Висконсину, 8. октобра 1871. Пре него што је ватра изгорела, опустошила је више од 1.280.000 јутара земље и угасила животе неких дванаест стотина људи (види „Ватра чини ветар: Винд Макес Фире ”, у АМЕРИЧКО НАСЛЕЂЕ, август 1956). Пожари су узастопно харали северном земљом до краја века, убивши скоро све живо биће на њиховом путу, укључујући и јелене, а милионе хектара претворили у коровску пустару где ниједан јелен није могао да преживи.

До 1880. научници и неколико пионира заштитника природе почели су да изражавају забринутост за будућност јелена као врсте. Десет година касније популација јелена у Северној Америци досегла је дно. Апалачи и већи део земље западно до Стеновитих планина били су практично без јелена. Род Ајленд, Конектикат, Мериленд, Западна Вирџинија, Њу Џерси, Охајо, Кентаки, Тенеси, Индијана, Илиноис, Ајова, Канзас, Мисури и Небраска сви су пребројали своја стада белорепаца близу нуле. „Последњи јелен“ у Индијани одстрељен је близу Црвеног облака 1893. Јужни Мејн и јужни Њу Хемпшир нису имали ниједног.

Јелени су уточиште дали само дивљи делови Адирондацка, планине Арканзас, удаљене мочваре јужне обале и обале Залива. Т. С. Палмер из У. С. Биологицал Сурвеи (претходник америчке службе за рибе и дивље животиње) проценио је популацију дивљег белорепог јелена у Сједињеним Државама и Канади 1890. године на око три стотине хиљада. Његова агенција уложила је знатне напоре у охрабривање људи да узгајају јелене у заточеништву, јер је изгледало да будућност бијелог репа почива на онима који се држе у ограђеним парковима јелена.

Али чак и док се пад настављао, семе обнове је почело да ниче. У северној Новој Енглеској и поморским провинцијама сеча је претварала првобитне четинарске шуме у млада мешана листопадно-листопадна шума идеална за јелене. Камена тла и негостољубива клима обесхрабрили су сваку масовну инвазију на пољопривреду. До 1890. јелени су се проширили по северним Мејнима и Њу Хемпширу и дубоко у Њу Брунсвик и Квебек, далеко северније од њиховог изворног подручја. У овом региону вук, једини значајни северни јелен-предатор, био је на ивици изумирања.

Источно од Апалача, индустријско доба је драстично променило обрасце коришћења земљишта. Хиљаде маргиналних пољопривредника, неспособних да се такмиче са напредном пољопривредом Запада, напустили су своје истрошене фарме, преузели фабричке послове у граду или отишли ​​на запад. У јужном региону Пијемонта, мрзовоља, крај ропства и конкуренција са страним тржиштима натерали су напуштање хиљада поља памука. Напуштену земљу убрзо су напали брзорастући борови. До 1885. године на истоку Сједињених Држава било је милионе хектара сазрелих борових шума „старих поља“. Сам бор је лоша храна за јелене, а ове нове шуме подржавале су неколико јелена, али сазревање борова донело је нови бум на исток који је био у пуном јеку до 1890. године. И како су борови посечени, замењени су жбуњем. , мешовита шума тврдог дрвета и четинара која чини идеалан узгој јелена.

Подударање са повратком овог станишта јелена у великој мери без јелена био је развој модерног покрета за очување природе. По први пут је више од неколико људи почело да препознаје вредности у дивљини осим оних које се могу мерити у месу, кожи и перју. У великој мери овај концепт је настао, донекле недоследно, од ловаца на спорт у источним градовима. До отприлике 1830. године бављење спортом првенствено је била забава богатих. Али, епоха после Грађанског рата произвела је нову средњу класу са новцем, разонодом и, често, жељом да привремено побегне из урбаног живота. Раскошни туристички кампови и хотели процветали су на обалама дивљих језера и река. Већина ових одмаралишта нудило је, између осталих активности на отвореном, одличан лов на јелене.

Како се интересовање за рекреативни лов ширило, пионири конзерватори тражили су начине да повећају ограничену понуду јелена. Закони о играма су се мало променили од колонијалних времена. Тек 1870. сезоне лова на јелене трајале су од три до седам месеци, ограничења за вреће нису постојала, а употреба паса, ракета за ноћни лов и лизање соли били су прихваћени спортски обичаји.

Постепено су једна држава за другом пооштравале законе о играма. Године 1873. Маине је усвојио прву границу вреће за јелене - три за сваког ловца у једној сезони. Мицхиган и Миннесота наметнули су ограничење од пет јелена 1895. године, а Висцонсин ограничење од два јелена 1897. Недељама, па чак и месецима прекинут је лов на нафту 'у отвореним сезонама лова, а већина држава забранила је лов на јелене у потпуности у окрузима у којима је јелена било мало у 18г8 Массацхусеттс затворен цела држава у лов на јелене у периоду од пет година. До краја века свака држава северно од Вирџиније и Арканзаса забранила је ноћно одстрел и употребу паса за лов на јелене. Штавише, до тада је скоро свака држава имала службену агенцију којој је поверена заштита дивљих врста.

Многе од ових реформи биле су усмерене директно на ловца на тржиште, чији је значај за привреду нагло опадао. Већину су покренули и борили спортисти који су организовали политички моћна удружења за заштиту рибе и дивљачи. Ловац на тржиште коначно је истиснут из пословања савезним законом (Лацеи Ацт из 1900) који је забранио међудржавну испоруку дивљачи убијене кршећи државне законе.

До краја века и јелени и њихово станиште по први пут су добили праву заштиту. Њихови стари природни непријатељи скоро су нестали. Људи су се борили са шумским пожарима уместо да их подмећу и гледају како горе. Шкриљевци и савезне шумарске агенције поново су засадиле старе опекотине. Поклопац се враћао у земљу.

Одговор јелена на ове скоро идеалне услове, посебно на североистоку, био је експлозиван. Са покривених острва на којима су несигурно преживели скоро читав век, јелени су се истискивали на све стране. Они на северу Нове Енглеске проширили су се према југу у пољопривредне округе. Јелени у југоисточном Массацхусеттсу излетјели су у централне округе, а на југ у Рходе Исланд и Цоннецтицут. Јелени Адирондацк населили су Цатскиллс, западни Вермонт и Берксхирес у Массацхусеттсу. До 1908. Ернест Тхомпсон Селон, најпознатији природњак тог времена, претпоставио је да је популација јелена у источном делу Мисисипија око петсто хиљада.

Ово природно ширење и повећање помогле су организације спортиста и новоорганизоване државне агенције за игру. Клуб спортиста у округу Рутланд, Вермонт, купио је 1878. године седамнаест заробљених јелена (десет од њих од чувара затвора у држави Нев Иорк у Даннемори) и пустио их у шуме затворене за лов од стране државе. До 1895. године ово језгро се повећало на неколико стотина.

Успех експеримента у Вермонту инспирисао је неколико источних држава да усвоје сличан приступ. У Пенсилванији је успело скоро па се не верује. Убрзо након 1899. године комисија за игру у Пенсилванији почела је да купује јелене и пушта их у државне шуме. Године 1905. прве јединице опсежног система склоништа за јелене биле су опскрбљене животињама заробљеним у државним шумама. Две године касније, било је довољно белорепаца да оправда лов. Године 1907. ловци су врећали двеста долара у држави у којој уопште није било дивљих јелена мање од двадесет година раније.

Средином 1920-их чинило се да су јелени свуда у Пенсилванији. Стада од четрдесет или више могу се увече пребројати дуж готово сваког сеоског пута. Десетине се могу испрати са било које парцеле дрвета. Нападали су дворишта, поља кукуруза и воћњаке. Колица на периферији Харрисбурга и Пхиладелпхије често су била запрепаштена хркањем уплашеног новца или одушевљена призором бијеле заставе срне.

Велики мехур јелена у Пенсилванији пукао је убрзо након 1925. Биолози дивљачи почели су да примећују да животиње које су ухватили ловци постају кржљаве. Развој рогова био је толико слаб да су се спортисти жалили да виде до стотину јелена у једном дану, али не и једног са рачвастим рогом што би га учинило легалном игром. Затим, у горкој зими 1926. године, јелени су почели да гину. Умрли су појединачно, на десетине, а понекад и на стотине, у завејаним, претрпаним зимским двориштима. Вернон Баилеи, водећи савезни мамолог, за неколико недеља је убројио више од хиљаду мртвих јелена у четири насеља у једној жупанији.

Бејлијева пресуда је потврдила оно што је већ постигла комисија за игру у Пенсилванији - морало се направити драстично смањење популације јелена да би држава спасила своје шуме и уопште јелена. Хиљаде изгладнелих јелена лишили су зимнице све вегетације високе до човекове главе.

До тада је Пенсилванија, попут већине држава које су тада дозвољавале лов на јелене, дозвољавала сваком ловцу само један долар са најмање једним рачвастим рогом сваке године. Али долар се обично пари са неколико грла, а већина бодљикавих и других подзаконских долара је способна за узгој. Због тога се популација јелена удвостручила сваке две или три године упркос све већем годишњем убијању. А сваког пролећа је село производило стотине хиљада младунаца за које није било зимске хране. Године 1930. Комисија за игре у Пенсилванији, суочена са огорченим противљењем јавности, прогласила је отворену сезону на јеленима без мрава. Између 1931. и 1941. ловци су убили више од 725.000 јелена у Пеннсовој шуми. Овај оштар, али неопходан третман смањио је стадо са близу милион марака на испод пола милиона. У годинама након тога, регулисане посебне сезоне јелена без рогова, сада општеприхваћене као стандардна пракса управљања, стабилизовале су популацију јелена на око оптималних четири стотине хиљада.

На југу и на Блиском западу јужно од Великих језера обнова јелена дошла је касније. Али све државе у овим регионима профитирале су од развијених техника и грешака које су начиниле Пенсилванија, Њујорк и Нова Енглеска. Тек 1930. већина држава између Стеновитих планина и Апалачаца још увек је имала релативно мало или нимало белорепаца. Јужно од Потомака у Апалачима једино успешно стадо јелена налазило се у Националној шуми Писгах у Северној Каролини. На другим местима у Апалачији планинари - закон или не, сматрали су било коју јестиву дивљину поштеном игром у било које време.

Током депресије многе од ових породица напустиле су брда. Њихове фарме, а понекад и читава села, апсорбоване су у државне и националне шуме и паркове. Још једно огромно подручје станишта главних јелена - још увек готово без јелена - брзо се развило. Поново се враћање поклопца случајно поклопило са још једним великим напретком у покрету за очување дивљих животиња.

До 1937. године практично све државне агенције за заштиту дивљих животиња примале су мали или никакав приход осим од продаје дозвола за лов и риболов. Често су државна законодавна тела преусмеравала велики део ових средстава на изградњу аутопутева и друге пројекте који нису повезани са очувањем дивљих животиња.

Затим је 1937. Конгрес усвојио Питтман-Робертсон-ов Закон о савезној помоћи у обнови дивљих животиња. Закон је одредио постојећу акцизу од 11 одсто на спортско оружје и муницију за коришћење држава у финансирању одобрених пројеката обнове дивљих животиња. Такође је предвиђено да држава мора да има право на савезна средства да мора да примењује све приходе од дозвола за лов на вођење своје агенције за заштиту дивљих животиња. Свака држава је то брзо испунила.

На истоку је белорепи јелен био један од првих главних корисника. У изузетно кратком року напори на рестаурацији у једној држави за другом уродили су плодом. Множила су се и проширила мала стада која су преживела мрачне дане иСоо -а. Трансплантације неколико животиња су порасле на хиљаде у року од неколико година. И док су се шуме поново пуниле јеленима, једна држава за другом поново је отварала своју дуго затворену сезону лова. Године 1965., када је Канзас осетио да има довољно белих репова да гарантује отворену сезону, свака држава источно од Стеновитих планина поново је постала држава велике игре.

Иако је лов многима неукусан, у недостатку изворних природних контрола раста популације јелена, неопходан је за добробит јелена и шума од којих зависе. У јесен и рану зиму 1968. године ловци у Сједињеним Државама донијели су кући скоро милион и по бијелих репова упола мање него што је постојало у читавој Сјеверној Америци прије само педесет година! Али то је било мање од петине летње популације белог репа.

С обзиром да је готово сав погодан распон у Америци потпуно опскрбљен, ово је вјероватно сав бијели јелен који шуме Америке могу подржати. Али довољно је. Напори за очување поготка или пропуста из прошлости замењени су научним истраживањима, спровођењем закона и управљањем стаништима. У већини држава флексибилни прописи о лову држе популацију јелена у равнотежи са залихама хране и још увијек осигуравају опстанак сваке године више него адекватног сточног фонда. Што се тиче будућности, стална потражња америчке привреде за дрвним производима и заштићеним сливовима требала би осигурати одржавање великих блокова младих шума које јелени морају успијевати. Јелен би требао бити у бројности много година.


Јеленово острво: сећање на историју људске трагедије

In October, 1675 (Just five months after the start of the King Philip’s War, 1675-1676) some 500 Nipmucks from what is now South Natick were forcibly removed to Deer Island, a barren strip of land off Boston Harbor, as a concentration camp for Indians (later it would become a holding area for Irish immigrants fleeing the Great Famine (1800s), a major hospital (1847), a prison (c. 1882-1988), and now a wastewater treatment facility and national park), was established by the Massachusetts Council that same year. King Philip’s War, or Metacomet’s Revenge, as it came to be known, was the first large-scale military aggression in the American colonies and the bloodiest conflict between settlers and Indians in 17th century Puritan New England. Without adequate food, clothing, shelter or medicine, the pro-English Algonquian coverts, who had been converted to Christianity by the zealous Congregationalist minister from Roxbury named John Elliot, half of the Indians confined on the Island died of starvation or exposure during their imprisonment when John Eliot visited them in December, he could only report with horror, “The Island was bleak and cold, their wigwams poor and mean, their clothes few and thin.” These were the same Indians who once welcomed the English in 1621 with their Sachem, Massasoit.

In the years prior to King Philip’s War, Eliot worked with his devoted teacher (and servant of 35 years) Job Nesutan to learn the language. Later, Eliot worked with Nesutan and other Indians in translating the Holy Bible into the local Natick dialect of Massachusett or Massachusêuck (first published in 1663 at Harvard University) had taught hundreds of Indians to read and write and had established fourteen “praying towns,” Indian settlements built as Christian communities.

The first and largest was Natick, Massachusetts. Eliot took seriously his goal of conversion. He was convinced that only by being able to communicate with Native people in their own language could he achieve the goal of spreading Christianity prompting greater migrations of English to come to New England’s rocky shores as Indians were becoming more 𠇌ivilized” as a result.

However, from the very start of the war, the new English colonists became fearful of Eliot’s converts joining Philip’s reign of terror. Convinced of these fears, the Massachusetts Council ordered all Christian Indians to be barged down the Charles River in shackles and incarcerated on the island for the duration of the war. It was also known that slavers came to steal Indians off Deer Island to engage in the lucrative trade of human trafficking in Barbados or Jamaica.

But after enduring decades of fraudulent land deals, Massasoit’s son, Philip, determined to wage war to oust the colonists from New England and push them back over the sea from whence they came. He nearly succeeded. Beginning in June of 1675, not only Wampanoags, but Narragansetts, Nipmucks, and Pocumtucks rallied behind Philip to destroy the English.

To Puritan minister Increase Mather it seemed that the Indians had “risen almost round the country,” torching one town after the other. Before the final shots were fired over half of all the English settlements in New England𠅎verything west of Concord—had been laid waste. As Boston merchant Nathaniel Saltonstall explained in a letter to a friend in London, “Nothing could be expected but an utter desolation.” Philip’s Indians attacked and destroyed 25 frontier settlements: Andover, Bridgewater, Chelmsford, Cumberland, Groton, Lancaster, Longmeadow, Marlborough, Medfield, Medford, Millis, Plymouth, Portland, Providence, Rehoboth, Scituate, Seekonk, Simsbury, Springfield, Sudbury, Suffield, Warwick, Weymouth, and Wrentham, including what is modern-day Plainville.

The war ended with Metocomet’s death, August 12, 1676 with 600 colonists and 3,000 Native Americans dead, including several hundred native captives who were tried and executed others were enslaved and sold in Bermuda and elsewhere. The Deer Island prisoners were released, and over half of the Indians confined to the Island had died, others too sick to enjoy their liberty for long.

Almost 400 years have passed as we remember this tragic point in our collective history. The Deer Island Memorial Committee, headed by Executive Director Jim Peters, Massachusetts Commission on Indian Affairs, along with other committee members, had issued an RFP to create a memorial commemorating the Nipmuc Indians who died there. Lloyd Gray (Mohawk) has been contracted to create the memorial. It is anticipated that there will be a ceremony as part of the unveiling during the last weekend in October, 2013. It will be a time for reflection, commemoration and healing. In the language of Eliot’s Praying Indians, 𠇊yeuhteá࿊sh,” we stand firm (strong) and will continue to do so.


White-tailed Deer Timeline

1900 – Market/subsistence hunting and unregulated harvest eliminate nearly all deer from the state.

1917 –Total statewide deer population estimated at 500 animals. Legislature bans deer harvest.

1917 to 1922 – From western Oklahoma moving east, counties previously open to deer hunting are systematically closed to deer hunting.

1922 – All deer hunting in Oklahoma is prohibited.

1933 – First regulated deer season (five days) is held. Hunt is restricted to six southeast counties and Major County in western Oklahoma, resulting in the harvest of 235 bucks. Also, this year marks the beginning of safety regulations for wearing a red upper outer garment (later to become “hunter” orange).

1934 – No deer season authorized.

193537 Area is expanded to seven southeast counties only. Harvest total is 331 in 1935 375 in 1936 and 347 in 1937.

1938 – No deer season authorized.

1939-40 – Harvest totals: 384 in 1939 and 318 in 1940.

1941-43 – All deer hunting is closed. Many OGF personnel are called to active military service.

1943 – Deer restoration program started with the trap and transplant of 22 deer.

1944 – 379 deer harvested.

1945 – A total of 469 deer are harvested. Restoration efforts continue, with most deer trapped from either the Wichita Mountains NWR or Ft. Sill, but includes 50 captured from Aransas Pass NWR on the Texas Gulf Coast.

1946 – Participation in the deer gun season jumps to more than 7,000 (certainly due to returning World War II Vets looking for recreation). The first archery season (one day) is held. No deer harvested. A total of 35 deer are transplanted from the Wichita Mountains NWR to the U.S. Naval Ammunition Depot near McAlester (in less than a decade the military installation, now known as the McAlester Army Ammunition Plant, would serve as a source herd for trapping activities).

1946 – Oklahoma had its first archery season (1 day) on November 11, 1946, in seven southeast counties. No deer were harvested.

1949 – Special Archery season (five days) is designated only at Camp Gruber, resulting in the first buck taken by bow and arrow during a regulated season. The deer, taken by Roland Barber, is the state’s first archery buck and was a fallow deer. It was part of Camp Gruber’s small herd that had been established in the area during the late 1930s.

Photo (left): Roland Barber harvests the first deer taken with a bow and arrow in Oklahoma. The 120-pound fallow buck was harvested November 2, 1949, at Camp Gruber.

1951 – First whitetail deer taken by bow and arrow during a regulated season since the days that Native Americans hunted deer for subsistence is harvested by Larry Embry, Jr.,13. The deer was harvested at Camp Gruber.

Photo: Larry Embry Jr harvested the first whitetail at Camp Gruber on November 11, 1951, with a bow.

The Daily Oklahoma November 13, 1951, has the full story.

1954 – First statewide gun deer season (5 days) results in a harvest of 1,487 bucks.

1969 – First primitive firearms season (three days) is held, resulting in two deer harvested. Hunt is restricted to part of LeFlore County.

1970 – Statewide 16-day deer gun season. The total harvest of 6,882 bucks.

1972 –Nine-day deer gun season with all open counties and special two-day antlerless season. Total harvest 7,670 deer.

1975 – Cy Curtis Awards Program initiated by the Department to recognize trophy deer (harvested during the 1972 season and thereafter). For eligibility, whitetail deer must have a minimum typical score of 135 or a non-typical minimum of 150 using the Boone & Crockett scoring system. In the first year, only seven deer are entered. The program is named in honor of the man most responsible for the restoration of whitetail deer in Oklahoma.

1976 – Department begins broadscale antlerless harvest in 19 counties by issuing antlerless permits by special drawing. Total harvest 11,548 – 26 percent does.

1982 – Antlerless permit system deemed unpopular due to perceived inequities, and replaced by antlerless days available to all hunters. Total harvest 19, 255 – 23 percent does.

1986 –The Department ceases any further trap and transplant efforts with sufficient populations of deer available to repopulate all suitable habitats statewide.

1990 – Statewide deer population estimated at 250,000 deer. Total harvest 44,070 deer – 24 percent does.

1992 – Total harvest tops 50,000. Much to the surprise of many, a new state record buck is taken by an archer in Oklahoma County (Chris Foutz took the buck, which measured 179 6/8 typical score), proving that quality deer can come from just about anywhere in Oklahoma even the state’s most urbanized county.

Photo (left): Chris Foutz with 179 6/8 scored deer harvested with a bow in Oklahoma County on December 23, 1992.

1999 – Statewide deer population estimated at 425,000 deer. Total harvest yields 82,500 deer – 36 percent does.

2000 – Deer population levels spawn a multitude of stakeholder desires and management possibilities. For the first time, deer harvest numbers top 100,000.

2001 - First Special Antlerless season is held in December and expanded deer archery season in January.

2003 - First statewide youth antlerless deer gun season is held in October and yields 2,285 deer.

2004 - Statewide deer population estimated at 475,000 deer. Bowhunters set a new harvest record with 14,639 deer taken. Statewide harvest is 94,689 - 40% does.

2005 - Statewide harvest is 101,111 including 40% does. The number of counties that recorded more than 1,000 deer harvested increased to 43.

2006- Hunting regulations remain unchanged from 2005.

2007 – Not one, but two tremendous whitetail bucks are harvested from Pushmataha County during the deer gun season one by John Ehmer that scored an impressive 194 typical, and one by Jason Boyett that scored 192 5/8 typical. Boyett takes his buck on Nov. 18, surpassing the previous state record that had held the top spot for an entire decade (see Larry Luman photo below). Then just 10 days later, on Nov. 28, Ehmer takes his outstanding buck from the same county. By now, a total of 4,500 deer (including 19 mule deer entries) have been entered into the Cy Curtis Program.


2013- Physical deer check stations are replaced with an electronic check-in system, called E-Check. The Wildlife Department initiates the "Hunters in the Know Let Young Bucks Grow" campaign.

2014- Hunters are able to submit photos of their deer jaws, and have their deer aged by Wildlife Department biologists.

2015- marked the participation record for archery hunters for the third year in a row.


Фејсбук

Anyone who has stood on or driven along Ocean Springs' Beach or East Biloxi's Highway 90 has glanced or looked at Deer Island. They may have even wondered about this deserted island and its past history. The western and eastern tips are wind swept sand where mainly sea oats, grasses, and various small plants grow. The eastern and southeastern areas are mostly salt-water marshes with stands of pine trees sprinkled throughout. There are several bayous or inlets, some being large enough for a skiff to enter. The western and northern areas are covered with stands of pine trees and some oak trees. Through the years hurricanes have taken their toll by eroding portions of the southern shores and in 1985 Elena cut out a section of the western end.

Deer Island was occupied and used as hunting ground as early as 8,000 B.C. Artifacts from the four major periods of Native American history have been found on Deer Island. Those periods are Paleo Indian, Archaic, Woodland, and Mississippian Periods. During the Mississippian Period 1,000 A.D. to 1700 A.D. Native American artifacts indicate some early and late occupation but the largest occupation occurs from about 1200 A.D. to 1550 A.D. This corresponds with two Mississippian sites on the Biloxi peninsula. One site was on the east end of the southern shore and the other on the northern shore of the peninsula. The only thing that remains today is the artifacts and shell midden. Shell middens are areas where Native Americans discarded their refuse and other items. Some portions of the Native American sites on Deer Island are underwater due to eroding shorelines. Unfortunately those that are not underwater, pothunters and others have ravished for years. Pothunters are individuals looking for whole clay vessels. They dig the site up looking for these vessels but during the process they destroy the site and artifacts. They never record or report what they find because they know what they are doing is wrong and against the law.

The 1699 arrival of the French ushered in a new period along the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Deer Island. The French explored the whole Gulf Coast but it was not until 1717 that any indication of Deer Island being occupied. The Commissary M. Hubert petitions the French Ministry of the Colonies to grant him the concession, land grant, of Deer Island to raise rabbits. Later he withdraws his petition after learning that another inhabitant already has the Deer Island concession. Unfortunately he does not name the person who has the Deer Island concession. On November 2, 1738 M. Louboey, Governor of Louisiana, writes about Deer Island in a letter to M. Maurepas, Minister of the Colonies. He indicates that the small nation know as the Capinans have abandoned its village on the Pascagoula River and retired to Deer Island. The Capinans were a small tribe connected with the Biloxi and Pascagoula tribes. Their villages were located on the Pascagoula River when the French first arrived.

Records dated 1746 indicated that a cattle ranch is being operated on Deer Island by a settler who owns and operates a shallop (ship) of sixty tons. During the 1790s a Pierre La Fontaine, a ship owner from Deer Island has been paying tolls to enter St. John Bayou in Louisiana. It would appear that Pierre and the early settler may be one and the same.

On the twenty first of April 1798 fourteen persons on Deer Island were confirmed by the Bishop Francisco Penalver y Cardenas of the Diocese of New Orleans. Among the confirmed was 100-year-old Louis Christian Ladner as well as other Ladners, Cueves, Carquottes and other early gulf coast settlers. Between 1840 and 1850 Father Gerin, a Catholic priest from Biloxi, would visit Deer Island about once a month.

The Harrison County 1850 census lists 11 people living on Deer Island. These 11 consist of three families and one single person. Albertus King Aken 30 was listed as a farmer and being from New Jersey his wife Jane 26, Bay St. Louis their son Joseph 9, and Mr. Aken's sister Laura Aken 19. Mr. Aken at one time was lighthouse keeper at Cat Island. About 1865, Mr. Aken began harvesting the sap from the pine trees and set up a still from the manufacturing of turpentine. In 1917 L. Lopez Company, per an agreement with Mr. Aken, set the first shells for an oyster reef in the waters off Deer Island.

Joseph Field Aken, who grew up on Deer Island, would marry Harriet Waters of Horn Island during the Civil War. Harriet was born on September 18, 1839 in Pascagoula and raised on Horn Island where she first married Peter Baker on December 28, 1852 at the age of thirteen. Peter and Harriet struggled to make a living on Horn Island. Confederate and Union soldiers took cattle from the family. Final Harriet and her children left Peter who she later divorced. Harriet, in later years would be known as Grandma Aken along the Gulf Coast. On Deer Island she helped Joseph run the turpentine business and the oyster reefs. They lived by hunting, crabbing, fishing, oystering, as well as what could be raised on the island. Joseph died July 13, 1913, leaving Harriet to carry on and raise 17 children. Grandma Aken would also raise and give a home to 25 boys and a girl Rhoda Louise Williams. She continued to hunt and harvest oysters late in life. Even when she became almost blind she would not let that slow her down. She would set on her porch and knit fishing nets for the family.

In her young days it was said that she could handle a gun as well as any man.
She was considered an excellent hunter, swimmer, and she had walked every inch of Deer Island. During her active years she would row a skiff from the island to various locations on the main land.

Grandma Aken had reached her hundredth birthday in 1939. Friends and family journeyed to Deer Island with gifts and cakes for the happy occasion. Though she had been ill Grandma Aken sat in her large armchair and in her natural agreeable manner received her guests. Boats were secured for the occasion and guests were ferried to and from Deer Island. Rev. E.A. Demiller, rector of the Church of the Redeemer, conducted religious services on the island. In addition to Mrs. Aken’s birthday, her great granddaughter who was born the same day, Mary Jane Hall’s birthday was also celebrated.

Six months later Grandma Aken would die on Deer Island. The seawall was crowded with friends as her coffin was carried on the Sea Queen from Deer Island to Oak Street pier. She was interred at the Old Biloxi Cemetery, thus closing another chapter on Deer Island.

Grandma Aken was one of the most beloved and enduring individuals on Deer Island. Yet, one of the most interesting characters was The Hermit of Deer Island. Jean Guilhot, a Frenchman, who had operated a citrus grove in the Bahamas and a turtle soup cannery in Florida. He arrived in Biloxi in 1921at 46 years of age and began working as a barber. He met and married a widow, Pauline Lemiene, who with her son Elmer had a house on Deer Island. Elmer would later marry Rhoda Louise William, the adopted daughter of Grandma Aken, and have two children Elmer and Elaine who were born on Deer Island. On Deer Island he gave up being a barber and became an oyster fisherman. A few years later his wife died, but Guilhot continued to live on Deer Island and make his living by tonging oysters. During the 1947 Hurricane Guihot climbed a tree and weathered the wind and water. The storm flooded the island and destroyed his home but he built a new shack from driftwood. By this time his skin was like leather from the sun and saltwater. He lived on a diet of cheese, fruit, and various seafood but refused to eat meat.

In early 1950, Louis Gorenflo, captain of the tour boat Sailfish offered to pickup and deliver groceries to Guilhot. On a small pine sapling 75 feet from shore, Guilhot would place his grocery list and Gorenflo would retrieve the list and on the next visit return the groceries. At first Guilhot would only retrieve the groceries after the Sailfish departed. Gradually, he began to row out and meet the Sailfish. Later he would sing songs in French and English for the tourists. The tourists would take his picture and throw coins in to Guilhot's boat. On May 27, 1959, Guilhot died in his sleep at the age of 82. One account of his passing implies that it occurred on Deer Island. His family attests that he died at the residence of his stepson Elmer Lemien on Tucker Road in the St Martin community. According to the Bradford O’Keefe funeral records Jean Guilhot died at Latimer Route 2 Jackson County. Jean Guilhot’s death closed another chapter of history on Deer Island. The Hermit of Deer Island lives now only in the memories of those who knew and saw him.

One of the most interesting and short-lived developments on Deer Island occurred in June of 1915. The Deer Island Improvement Company purchased property from Grandma Aken and opened an amusement park. The park was equipped with dance pavilion 60 x 100 feet and featured a huge bath house with a roof complete with a garden and refreshments, fishing, row boat rentals, carnival rides, penny arcade, and daily concerts. Visitors were transported by a ferry system to and from Deer Island by way of the Lameuse Street pier. The company also sold property for cottages and camps, which in no time began to appear. The venture was a huge success but that fall the 1915 Hurricane hit the coast and wiped out the amusement park, several cottages, and summer camps. The investors never recovered and in 1917 the property was returned to Grandma Aken and her heirs.

After Grandma Aken’s death many of her decedents continued to live on Deer Island. From her first marriage to Peter Baker, a native of Arandahl, Norway, their children Frank Ben, Joseph, and Hannah Olena grew up on Deer Island. Baker Family history indicates that Peter Baker’s last name was originally Olsen but he changed it to Baker. From Grandma Aken’s marriage to Joseph Aken their 5 daughters Ella 1871, Nora 1873, Margaret 1875, Cora 1879, and Julia 1881were born and grew up on Deer Island.

Joseph Baker would marry Madeline Gelineo and move to Biloxi. He would be a carpenter by trade. Their children were George and Edward who lived in Biloxi and Marion who lived in New Orleans, Mrs. Henry Lechner and Mrs. Holly Ford of Biloxi. Joseph died on July 16, 1956 in Biloxi.

Frank Ben Baker was born on Deer Island July 6, 1869 and married Dorothy Ryan. Frank and Dorothy would live with their children on Deer Island. Their sons Ralph and Arthur would continue to live on Deer Island. Their daughters Vera would marry Fred Lusk and Dorothy would marry Elbert Meaut and move to Biloxi. Frank died on December 3, 1947 on Deer Island.

Hannah Olena Baker married James Wentzell and they had two children, J.W. Wentzell and Charles Wentzell. Ella Aken would marry William Thompson on June 29, 1892 and have one child named Ada and would make their home on Deer Island. Nora married Charles McCaleb on September 24, 1890 and lived in Biloxi. Margaret married Harry Edwards on March 1, 1893 and moved to New Orleans. Cora Aken would marry on November 12, 1893 in Biloxi to Thomas Kneale from New Orleans. They had seven children before she divorced Thomas. She never remarried but ran Kneale Grocery at 414 Nixon. She died February 6, 1943 in Biloxi. Julia Aken would marry Armond Rousseau and live in Biloxi.

One individual who purchased property from the Deer Island Improvement Company was Joseph Fortune Meyer. Some readers will recognize Joseph Meyer’s name from the art world. Joseph Meyer was born in France the son of Francois Antoine Meyer and Jeanne Francoise Bebin. The family moved to America and took up residence in Biloxi before the Civil War. Francois Meyer was a potter whose business and home was on Biloxi’s Back Bay. Francois would teach his son Joseph the pottery trade. Joseph Meyer would become friends with another Biloxian by the name of George E. Ohr. After the Civil War, the Meyer family relocated to New Orleans where Joseph operated a pottery. It would be in New Orleans that young George Ohr would be taught by Joseph Meyer the pottery trade. Both Joseph Meyer and George Ohr were hired by Newcomb College to instruct pottery classes at the Newcomb Art School. Today both men’s works of pottery are considered extraordinary art ware.

After Joseph purchased the Deer Island property he continued to live in New Orleans. His Deer Island home became a resort to escape the city life and enjoy the quietness. In a letter dated May 20, 1920 written to his daughter Norma, Joseph describes a visit to Deer Island. On May 16, Joseph indicates that his wife, Charles Wolfarth from Biloxi, and himself went to Deer Island. They found the weather cloudy and very windy. Joseph had written to Frank Ben Baker to meet them at Oak Street but upon arrival Mr. Baker had not shown up. Joseph thought the rough weather may have been the reason so attempts were made to signal to Mr. Baker from Riley’s wharf and then from Johnson’s Fish and Oyster wharf, but to no avail. Mr. Raley proposed to bring them over. Joseph indicated that the crossing was very rough. Upon their arrival they were greeted by Frank’s wife Dorothy Baker. She indicated that Frank Baker had gone across with son Arthur to secure Mr. Hewes’ boat that had broken loose and was a drift. After their visit the return to Biloxi was also affected by a terrific squall. They tried to signal someone to come and get them but it was too misty. During a lull Joseph convinced Mr. Sidney Reynolds to take advantage of the lull to return them to the mainland. Due to the squall some schooners had taken shelter between Deer Island and the mainland. When they reach a point about 300 feet off the anchored schooners the wind began to blow again from the east and just as they touched the wharf the rain fell in sheets. Joseph indicated that before to long they were perfectly drenched.

In another letter Joseph describe the serenity of the Island. Until his death on March 16, 1931 Joseph continued to visit Deer Island on regular bases. The Baker family would refer to Joseph Meyer very affectionately as Uncle Joe. Like Grandma Aken and The Hermit of Deer Island Joseph Meyer would also leave his mark of society.

Frank Ben and Dorothy Baker’s descendants continued to live on Deer Island. One son Ralph eventually moved from Deer Island to Biloxi. Of their two daughters, Vera married Fred Lusk and Dorothy married Elbert Meaut, and both moved to Biloxi. Their son Arthur would continue to live on Deer Island. While Arthur was a young man, Joseph “Uncle Joe” Meyer had introduce him to his future wife, Eva Walther of New Orleans. Arthur and Eva married and had six children: Arthur, Frank, Donald, Alvin, Ronald, and Fred. They raised their six boys on Deer Island. When their son Ronald married Velma Demet, they made their home on Deer Island. Three of Ronald and Velma’s six children David, Larry, and Cynthia, would begin their lives on Deer Island.

The Aken and Baker families had lived on Deer Island for six generations. What one has to realize is that Deer Island was continually occupied from the 1700s to 1969. During the 1800s to early 1900s, life on Deer Island would be view as a typical way of life for the times. Yet with the advent of electrical power to homes all along our coast, there began a change and a new way of life. On Deer Island life continued the same as before electric with the exception of a 32 volt system of lights generated by storage batteries. Of course, one would turn the light on, take care of business, and then turn the light off. By the mid 1950s, the Baker family added a gasoline generator to power the lights and other appliances. Free flowing artesian water was fed from the well to a gravity tank to furnish the family’s water needs. Weekly, the Family would secure grocery items from Esse Gonsoulin’s Grocery & Market located at 1101 East Beach. One of the interesting facts about the Baker family was that the children attended the Biloxi Public Schools by taking a boat to Oak Street in Biloxi in the morning and back in the afternoon.

The Baker family lived on Deer Island until the events of August 1969. Hurricane Camille had entered the Gulf of Mexico and was threatening Mississippi and Louisiana. On Sunday morning August 17, Arthur and Eva Baker gathered their family and left their home unaware that it would be the last time. That evening Camille came ashore as a category 5 storm causing unbelievable destruction. After Camille the Baker family would live on two boats tied to the Baker Pier on Deer Island for 3 months. The two boats were the Doris Mae and the Progress. The family finally left Deer Island the first week of November and moved to Biloxi. This ended a long line of Bakers, and Aken family members who had lived their lives on Deer Island. Even though the Baker family still owns three sections of Deer Island, no one has officially lived on Deer Island since 1969. Yet to the Baker and Aken family decedents Deer Island has remained a place for family socials and their play ground.

We have discussed Deer Island early Native American history, its colonial
history and some of its most enduring individuals. We have yet to touch on
the legends and tales that embraced Deer Island, our coast, and our culture.
There has been numerous tales of pirates and of gold being buried on the
barrier islands. One of the most interesting stories appeared in the Biloxi
Herald on April 1, 1902. It seems that an elderly Biloxian, who was not
identified by the paper, told this story to the editor. In 1859 an elderly
gentlemen by the name of Senor Cardenas was a passenger on the steamboat
Creole that was headed to Biloxi. When he became ill Captain Charles
Walker asked the Biloxian to care for Senor Cardenas. The Biloxian stayed in
the cabin with Senor Cardenas and cared for him but Senor Cardenas died
during passage. Per Senor Cardenas request, Captain Walker handed the
Biloxian a sealed letter and a note. In the note Senor Cardenas asked the
Biloxian to have his remains shipped to New Orleans and to keep the sealed
letter until someone called for it.

On February 17, 1902 (some 43 years later) Senor Cardenas son appeared at the Biloxian's door. After receiving and reading the letter Don Cardenas asked the Biloxian if a tree grew in Biloxi with a ring created by nature in its limbs. The Biloxian says yes and took him to location of the oak refereed to as the Ring in the Oak. Don Cardenas climbed the tree and took his bearings off the ring to a location on Deer Island. The Biloxian and Don Cardenas rowed over to Deer Island and using the instructions in the letter dug up a metal box and two old swords. According to the story the box contained gold coins of Spanish origin. The Biloxian received a handsome reward and Don Cardenas returned to New Orleans. The article indicated if you don't believe the story go to J. B. Lemon's drug store in Biloxi and look at the sword and old coins he had placed there. One interesting note is that the Cardenas mentioned here spell their names the same as Bishop Cardenas who confirmed the families on Deer Island in 1798.

The stories of ghost, pirates, civil war, storms, and other legends have haunted Deer Island for centuries. Several proposed developments have occurred from the 1950s to the present, but Deer Island has weathered all of them. Just like the aftermath of a hurricane, Deer Island is a little battered but it seems to restores itself in time. It may be that Grandma Aken and The Hermit of Deer Island taught us a lesson that must be read from in-between-the-lines. That is, it may be better to conform to Deer Island and the life it offers instead of trying to conform Deer Island to us. The State of Mississippi recently purchased a large section of Deer Island with exception to the western sections owned by Baker family descendents. Only time will tell what will become of Deer Island, thus closing another chapter in Mississippi Coast History.

The Biloxi Herald, April 1, 1902
The Biloxi Herald, February 22, 1896 page 8 columns 1, Peter Baker
The Biloxi Herald, Saturday July 12, 1913, Joseph Aken, Old Biloxian Dead
The Biloxi Herald, September 18, 1939, Grandma Aken turn 100 years, page 9
Times Picayune, March 22, 1940 Harriet Aken 100 dies, page 1
The Biloxi Herald, March 24, 1940, Deer Island Resident Today Celebrates Century of Life Grandma Aken death
The Daily Herald, January 4, 1928, Page 10, Column 4, Joseph Meyer Lived in Biloxi
A History of Mississippi, edited by Richard Aubrey McLemore, Volume One
Mississippi Provincial Archives French Domination by Rowland, Sanders, and Galloway
Joseph Meyers Letters, Ohr/O’Keefe Museum of Art collection.
Stevens Collection located in the Historical & Genealogical Section of the Biloxi Library
Oral Baker Family History from conversations with Alvin Baker, Arthur Baker, and Cynthia Baker Powell.
Lemein Family History conversation with Mrs. Elaine Lemein Rolls
Aken Family History from emails with Elaine Kneale Knafla.


Да ли си знао?

  • In 2019, 164,939 youth participated in the Seedlings for Schools program, an increase of 4,663 children.
  • 67 schools across the Commonwealth benefitted from a new Pollinator Garden program that teaches youth about pollinating insects and the value of creating a habitat for them.
  • The PA Game Commission’s Howard Nursery administers the Seedlings for School program and Wildlife for Everyone helps subsidize this free program for students.

© 2006 - 2021 Wildlife for Everyone All rights reserved.
Wildlife for Everyone, 341 Science Park Rd., Suite 103, State College, PA 16803-2287
(814) 238-8138 [email protected]

Design Copyright 2006 - 2021 Blue Banana Designs
Web site designed, developed, and hosted by
Blue Banana Designs - Web Site Design, Web Site Hosting, E-commerce


How did the white deer herd at the former Seneca Army Depot get started and why has it lasted?

The white deer at the former Seneca Army Depot in Romulus have been protected since the late 1940s by the fence that has surrounded the depot. They now number about 200.

(Stephen D. Cannerelli [email protected])

Romulus, N.Y. -- How did white, white-tailed deer at the former Seneca Army Depot get there and why has the herd lasted so long?

The depot, which was hurriedly built back in 1941 as World War II loomed, was fenced in for security reasons. And within that 24 miles of fenced in land were several dozen, regular brown-colored white-tailed deer and numerous other wildlife.

The history of the white deer herd at the depot, the world's largest, traces its roots back to 1949, when the depot's commander, Col. Franklin Kemble, was first alerted of their presence and gave orders not to shoot them.

Kemble told his men, "'If any of you guys shoot them, you're on the next plane to Greenland," said Dennis Money, president of Seneca White Deer and a retired project environmental analyst who worked at Rochester Gas and Electric.

The white deer were not albinos, which have pink eyes. These deer simply carried a recessive gene for white hair. They had brown or gray eyes.

The white ones lived and interbred with the brown deer. The combined, protected herd continued to grow and by the mid-1950s numbered more than 2,000. Two tough winters, though, resulted in a number of them starving.

The military teamed up with the state Department of Environmental Conservation and devised a plan to keep the herd healthy and genetically solid, Money said. They started offering nearly two weeks of hunting each fall, attended by past and current military personnel, along with (now former) civilian employees at the depot. The depot staff also planted food plots and mowed the grass in certain sections to encourage the growth of plants that the deer savor.

At first only brown deer could be shot, but in time the white deer were numerous enough to be included. Currently, the numbers of hunters are restricted to about a little more than three dozen a day and they have to participate in a lottery to see who gets to shoot white ones, said Stephen Absolom, the depot's environmental coordinator and installation manager in a 2010 interview.


When I was a boy I learned about a tribe of natives (Lipan Apache) that had an initiation into manhood which involved plucking a hair from the tail of a live deer. These people had developed a mode of stealth that allowed them to walk right up to deer–head on–without the deer sensing their presence or noticing their advance. I adopted the technique for moving through the woods silently, but never to the point where I could stealthily touch a deer.

I'll skip the masking your scent and disguising your appearance parts and just give you the silent walking part.

First of all, you must have good balance, so take a semi-squat stance to lower you body weight. With each step, you will balance on one foot, while you test the ground ahead of you with the smallest toe of your other foot. You want to plant your foot where it isn't going to make any noise, first touch the ground with your small toe, using it to part the grass or move leaves, then gently rock onto your lateral arch down to your heel as you shift your weight onto your forward foot and flatten it out onto the ground, the last part of your foot to touch the ground is your big toe. Complete the step by transferring all your weight to your forward foot, then feel ahead with the other.

The deer touchers did this very slow, averaging about 80 seconds per step, in a breeze they could rock with the grass and branches and go about 60 seconds a step. The super slow speeds were so the deer wouldn't register them moving, even if they were staring straight in their direction.

When nothing's watching you you can move quickly through the woods stepping this way, just touch with your small toe first and ease into each step, when you get good you tend to glide more than you stride. The part to practice is making contact with the ground without making a crunch, it's easy to do on a path, but harder to do when moving through the bush.

As far as what clothes and shoes to wear: the deer touchers went barefoot and wore nothing but a loincloth and ash from a fire, but any soft soled shoe will work for foot wear, toeshoes would be the best. For clothing you don't want to wear anything synthetic, nylon and polyester make that whishing sound when you walk. Soft cotton or wool is best for moving silently, think ninja knickers, light and breathable.